Xiamen University (XMU), founded in 1921 by Mr. Tan Kah Kee, a renowned overseas Chinese entrepreneur and philanthropist in Southeast Asia, was the first Chinese higher educational institution established by an overseas Chinese. It is the only university in China's five Special Economic Zones that enjoys privileged support from China's Ministry of Education for participation in "Project 211" (a state endeavor to facilitate the development of some 100 higher educational institutions as a national priority for 21st century) and "Project 985" (a national project for building world-class universities, announced in May 1998 with 39 participating universities).
Upon the invitation of the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education to set up a branch campus in Malaysia, XMU accepted the offer and thus, Xiamen University Malaysia (XMUM) was born. We began in earnest to build our first offshore campus in Malaysia and become the pioneer university from China to establish a branch campus in Malaysia.
XMUM aspires to become a university with a distinct global outlook, featuring first class teaching and research, and embracing cultural diversity.
Why choose XMUM:
1. Campus - a purpose-built campus occupying an area of 150 acres with an estimated total investment of RM1.3 billion.
2. Academic Staff - 80% of our academic staff are doctoral degree holders; one third of our academic staff are seconded from XMU China, while the rest are recruited from Malaysia and other countries.
3. Class Size - Small class size with a student to teacher ration of 15:1.
4. Financial Aids - Merit-based scholarships and study grant are available .
5. Tuition Fee - Affordable ranging from RM13,000 to 25,000 per year.
6. Study Abroad Opportunities - Student exchange or internship opportunities in China and other countries.
7. Further Studies - Opportunity to pursue postgraduate studies at XMUM or XMU China.
8. Recognition of Qualifications - XMUM qualifications are recognised internationally including in China and Malaysia.